Friday, September 25, 2009

SPX 2009: Yes.

Along with everybody else, I am planning on going to the Small Press Expo 2009. I'll be there Saturday.

And I think this is the panel that I am looking forward to the most:
Critics’ Roundtable, 3:30 | Brookside Conference Room
A murderers’ row of comics critics will address general issues facing comics criticism today and will candidly discuss several new and recent works in a lively, no-holds-barred, roundtable conversation. Rob Clough, Sean T. Collins, Gary Groth, Chris Mautner, Joe McCulloch, Tucker Stone and Douglas Wolk will share their acute critical insights with moderator Bill Kartalopoulos.
I saw the critics' panel last year and enjoyed it.

Here's my only suggestion to improve the panel: Model it after Tucker Stone's fantastic "Speed Round" reviews (see 6:39 minute mark) so that each critic is given a minute to review as many small press comic books as possible, with each comic being thrown at them by moderator Kartalopoulos. Would Jog blow our minds, but only get through one book because he wants to talk about the history behind it? Could Rob Clough catch all those teeny tiny mini-comics that he likes to review? Would non-blogger Gary Groth participate? Come on, you know you want to see this!

RELATED: Here are my posts about SPX 2008 and MoCCA 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I'd definitely like to meet you in person while you are there. I plan to be there Saturday and Sunday. I really wanted to go to that panel also, but I am volunteering, and have a time slot that covers the panels I am most interested in. I'm working from 2-5. I will be wearing shorts and an Atomic Robo shirt most likely. and I look sort of like my icon...

    ReplyDelete