Thursday, November 6, 2008

Review: Jack and the Box

The new publisher TOON Books has released a number of children's comics that are worthy of a place on your kid's bookshelf. Here is the second of three reviews of their newest books.

In Art Spiegelman's Jack and the Box (RAW Junior/TOON Books, 2008, 32 pages, $12.95), Jack's parents give him a box that contains a wacky talking jack-in-the-box. Jack spends the rest of the story scoping out his surprising new playmate.

The book is aimed at the youngest of readers, effectively using very basic words and pictures to tell its simple story. And it is packed with little jolts to keep kids on their toes.



My young son was fascinated by it, although I found it a little too abrasive for my tastes (too much bickering between Jack and his weird new friend, not enough happy fun). Still, I think it does a good job of introducing new readers to the comic book format, and it certainly will keep their attention.



You can see more sample pages here, and you can buy the book here: Jack and the Box

Disclaimer: This review is based on a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.

1 comment:

  1. I agree - I didn't really like the Jack in the Box's attitude. Abrasive is a good word. I felt like it introduced unnecessary aggression and almost meanness.

    That, to me, outweighs the book's ability to introduce the comic format to a child. I don't think we need to lower our standards for what is appropriate content for the sake of having a child read a comic book.

    ReplyDelete